A nodal event is an event in a person's, family's, community's or country's life that affects it profoundly. Some events are positive, like the election of a president or the birth of a Royal baby. Some events, however, are so negative, that they throw everything out of equilibrium. Hurricane Sandy was such an event.
The Jersey Coast and those of us who were personally affected by the storm know that things will forever be different. We, as individuals, families and communities, have been knocked off balance. Everything has changed, as we search for the "new normal."
When we approach anniversaries of negative nodal events, we may find that we don't feel "quite right." We may become symptomatic in many ways, physically, emotionally or behaviorally. One person may get a bad cold, or break out in a rash. Another may quietly get drunk, or not so quietly go speeding down the highway and get a bunch of tickets. And most people have emotional upsets. Feeling depressed, sad, irritable, anxious, or having panic attacks are ways that many people "mark" these anniversaries. Why? Do we decide this is how we are going to observe the anniversary of Sandy? No, it is not a conscious decision. Each individual is part of a system: a family, a community or a country. And if the system is out of equilibrium, there are shockwaves that reverberate throughout all parts of the system, bringing on symptoms.
After Sandy, many members of our communities remain in deep trouble. The disillusionment stage of recovery has set it. The insurance companies, FEMA, SBA, the local, state and federal governments aren't moving fast enough to get people back in their homes, or their businesses up and running. Many people remain displaced, and have lost everything they owned and are desperately trying to figure out how to move forward.
But, there are random acts of kindness, people volunteering and giving, and countless fundraisers. Groups of people gather in formal and informal support groups to help themselves and others make sense of it all, and to draw strength from each other.
So, if on a particular anniversary, you don't feel "quite right," realize that you are not alone in feeling this way, and that we have all been knocked for a loop. But our people and our communities are strong -- Jersey Strong, so Keep Calm, and Carry On!
- Keep your boss from driving you crazy
- Achieve Your Dreams, or Enable the Dreams of Others
- Change Your Life and Get the Things You Want
- Learn deep relaxation hypnosis for falling asleep
- Overcome Fear of Failure and Fear of Success
- Create Winning Goals
- Overcome depression
- Get thin and STAY thin
- Improve academic performance
- Achieve your goals without using "will power"
- Recognize a personality disorder
- Motivate yourself for long-range tasks
- REALLY Win Friends and Influence People!
- REALLY Stop Worrying and Start Living!
- Learn to hypnotize yourself
- Explore Alternate Universes
- Eliminate procrastination
- Overcome perfectionism
- LIVE the action of your favorite dramatic scenes
- Suppress the ravages of pain
- Master the art of hypnosis
- Facilitate meditation and prayer
- Improve your psychic abilities
- Re-create a mystical experience whenever you wish.
- Learn to Forgive Yourself and Others
- Discover the Most Important Things in Life
- Find Your Life's Goals and Values
- Talk to Your "Inner Healer"
- Make Friends at Any Age
- Manage Depression, Anger, Anxiety, Addiction, and Obsessive Thoughts
- The Blog contains many other examples of hyperempiria for the enhancement of human potential, the ennoblement of the human spirit, and the fulfillment of human existence. Scroll down the Blog Archive in the column at the right of your screen and click on the titles of the entries you wish to see. For earlier dates, first click on the date, and then click on the titles of the entries that open up.